Monday, September 26, 2011

Creativity on the decline

You ever watch something on TV or read about an upcoming film and just shake your head in disbelief?  That's sometimes how I feel when I actually turn on the TV or read an article like this.  It seems that more and more we see evidence that the creativity pool over in Hollywood is really heading for a drought.  A couple of weeks of go I was watching some TV on a Sunday afternoon, which I very rarely do, I got up to do a couple of things and left the TV on thinking I was coming back to finish the program I was watching.  The task at hand took a little longer and I ended up forgetting the TV.  Around came dinner time so I cooked up some food and then ate.  I went back into the living room sometime after 8 and realized I had left the tube on.  The Emmy's were on, there was a song being performed which caught my attention when I heard the words.  It had to be the stupidest thing and most unoriginal ideas for a song I've probably heard in my life and it made it seem like the kids in a high school class when the word sex comes up and they all giggle more mature.  The song was titled I just had sex five minutes ago or whatever it was.  I was ... dumbfounded .. that's the word.  Like really? That's the best skit the writers could come up with for what use to be a semi classy show.  Even If a person were to subject their family to sitting through the Emmy's do people in Hollywood not have any class left that maybe the Celebration of movie awards would be something that some families would watch.  I would be embarrassed if my kids were there with me.  But then again I don't watch TV most of the time because of the krap on it anyhow.

So back to the topic of creativity on decline.  It seems that the inspiration of the media we see presented to us whether on billboards, movies, commercials need a little bit of an overhaul.  I'm really sorry to burst anyone's bubble but when I see the latest new model next to naked on a billboard for a pair of Jean's Ad, which I would never spend a hundred dollars for anyways, it doesn't make me think "Hey that's sexy I should go buy that"  it actually makes me think "Are you stupid?" Sorry but it is what it is.  Then I usually think what is with this obsession with sex.  What does a naked girl have to do with jeans.    So there you have it folks Bloggin B is not feeling the love for the lack of creativity out there these days.  While there are a few exceptions to the rule I suspect that I will stay away from Hollywood's continued remakes such as the new Scarface which is being planned and why I originally wrote this entry.  Some things should just be left as they are.  So I will continue to enjoy the new Comic Book Movies which promises to give us a few good flicks for the next few years.  Other than that I will be advocating for more originality in the over-saturated zest pool of ideas we once called the Writer's Guild. 

No comments:

Post a Comment