Monday, November 7, 2011

City proposes bike parking

I've been mobile since last May.  For the past ten years I drove everywhere.  I'll even admit that I got so lazy to walk even to the store across the street was too much.  At some points it even seemed like going to get some milk or butter when I ran out in the middle of cooking was like doing chores. I would reluctantly drag my feet.  But one of the motivating factors for me, other than having to fight for my life every day driving in city center (that's another story), was being 5.7 tall 235 pounds and growing (horizontally) Along with the increased gas, insurance prices and paying for transportation already for others that dwell in my abode, I decided that I would cut the monthly transportation costs in half.   And I've been happily taking Mi-way, walking, biking and road rage free ever since.   But when I read about the proposed bill in Toronto of banning lock and chain biking it makes me cringe.  Even though I live in Mississauga I know its only a matter of time before some liberal genius will propose the same thing as another cash cow.

I have a few bones with this.

1) Tax dollars should be going to worthwhile projects that help sustain the community.   This bill is divisive and only another attack on the cyclists community who should be encouraged. Tying your bike to a pole is not hurting anyone or anything.

2)  This sends a bad message, in that it discourages people from using alternative forms of transportation.City councilors should be doing everything they can to encourage less vehicle dependance.  I don't know if anyone's looked out the window lately but its getting a little congested and smoggy here in our cities. 

3) The resources and materials to implement this bills do not justify the cost.  For one what are they going to do put up a bike rack at every building in the city.  Who's going to put them up?  Where does the city expect to get the money in their already ailing budget.  Lastly who is going to enforce this along with the fine processing? Will there now be a required bike registry.  How does they city expect to find out whose they have ticketed or are they going to cut the chains, take the bikes and have a big auction at the end of the year and give the proceeds to the poor or to mental health awareness programs.

Just a few questions that come to mind.

 http://www.blogto.com/city/2011/11/toronto_might_ban_bike_parking_at_anything_but_designated_posts/

No comments:

Post a Comment